Progressive Overload is a Life Strategy, Not Just Weights…. Read Below To See How It Can Change Your Life Too!
From a training perspective, progressive overload is when you gradually increase the weight, frequency, or number of repetitions in your strength training routine. This challenges your body and allows your musculoskeletal system to get stronger – i.e. why so many of you are hitting new PR’s this week in our training cycle!
Now although progressive overload is generally used in a strength training context, progressive overload is much Much MUCH more than just a training principle…
Progressive overload is how you improve, literally, anything in life.
- You want to get better at public speaking? Start speaking more in public. Begin with smaller groups and progress to larger crowds more frequently.
- You want to get better at entrepreneurship? Start with one small start-up. Build it from the ground up. Progress to two. So on and so forth until you progressively reach a point in which you can oversee and manage far more than you could when you first started.
- You want to improve your diet? Recognize first if you have a broken relationship with food. Then repair that relationship. Begin to prioritize protein and other nutrient dense foods. Understand and identify your Basal Metabolic Rate (BMR) and begin to establish a deficit or surplus based around your training goals and bodily needs, etc.
Slowly and progressively challenging yourself. Pushing yourself to do more and be better consistently over an extended period of time. Therefore, in order to see change in your fitness, you first have to make yourself available to it!
- “Fitting” fitness into your schedule will make a novice lifter probably see novice results.
- Allowing fitness to become part of your lifestyle, on the other hand, will be a game changer.
Internalize the process of reaching your potential and recognize that it will not happen overnight. It is going to take years and years of slow, steady, and progressive improvements over time.
You need to understand tremendous amounts of effort and discomfort are required in order to reach your full potential. When you make the conscious decision to be ruthlessly consistent regardless of whether or not you’re “feeling motivated”… that’s when you will succeed far beyond what you ever imagined possible.
That is why progressive overload is so important.
Not just because it’s essential for getting stronger…
But because it’s essential for living your best life.
It’s a life strategy, not just weights.